Frequently Asked Questions

Types of Parties:

Q: Does DAPA fund parties that have alcohol?
A: Yes! In fact, one purpose of DAPA grants is to reduce high-risk behavior by providing alternatives at such events.

Q: Can DAPA grants go to parties without alcohol?
A: Yes, of course! These events should occur during high-risk hours but offer a social alternative to parties with alcohol.

Q: More generally, what types of parties does DAPA fund?
A: Anything from movie screenings to dance parties. Please take a look at our criteria for specifics.  We do not fund workshops or meetings.  Events we fund must be held on-campus; this does, however, include on-campus pregames for events held at off-campus venues.

What We Fund:

Q: Does DAPA fund alcohol?
A: No.

Q: Does DAPA fund mixer beverages?
A: No.  We do not fund beverages of any kind but we can provide cases of water for your party.

Q: Does DAPA provide water for parties?
A: If there is alcohol at your party, you are expected to pick up a case of water along with your grant kit. Since we cannot fund beverages at parties, we provide you with water as an alternative to alcohol. If your party does not have alcohol at it and you would like a case of water, please indicate this in your budget.

Q: Then what exactly can DAPA fund (chicken wings, pizza, birthday cake, etc.)?
A: We fund “substantial” food items. Our goal is to help you have food in your stomach and stay hydrated when you go out.  Popular substantial food items include pizza, cake, insomnia cookies, burritos, wings, and bagels.  We do not fund beverages, decorations or entertainment (DJs, performers, etc).

Timing and Deadlines:

Q: When do I have to fill out the application by if my party is this weekend?
A:  By the weekly deadline- find it here!

Q: When will I find out whether or not I got funding?
A: Please find out here!

Q: Which days/times are eligible for DAPA grants?
A: Events that occur during “high-risk” times are eligible for grants. This includes Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, usually after 8 pm. Priority will be given to events that occur during hours that the dining halls are closed. Some exceptions to this rule are the night before a holiday and special events, such as Harvard-Yale tailgates and nights before house formals. We can not fund events that occur during reading period and finals when houses do not allow for parties to be registered or when university is closed (thanksgiving weekend, j-term, spring break, and summer) – the committee cannot meet during these times and, therefore, cannot review applications.

Location, Registration, and Partnering with Other Organizations:

Q: Does my party have to be registered?
A: Yes- we want to make sure that we’re awarding grants to events that are not going to get shut down. 

Q: What if my party is happening off-campus?
A: Unfortunately, we can’t fund events that are off-campus. This includes tailgates at Yale for the Harvard-Yale football game.  We can, however, fund on-campus pregames for events held at off-campus venues.

Q: Can final clubs, fraternities, sororities, or other social groups get grants?
A: We cannot fund events that are off-campus. This does not mean that students in these social groups cannot apply for funding for their personal parties that are on campus.

Q: Can HoCo’s apply for DAPA grants?
A: DAPA grants is focused on providing awards to groups and individuals who do not already have some other source of funding. HoCos are funded by both the UC and The College. While we can’t co-sponsor events with HoCos, HoCo members may apply for their own personal parties and students may apply for non-sponsored events that are open to the house community.

Grant Kit and Logistics:

Q: What is included in my DAPA grant?
A: Besides the monetary value of the grant itself, we provide you with cups, plates, and napkins. As stated above, we provide a case(s) of water for parties with alcohol, or if you request a case in your budget. 

Q: How many grants can one apply for each semester?
A: As many as you want. However, we do try to impact the most people possible with the limited funding we have. Therefore, we tend not to give the same organization funding every time they apply. This being said, we review applications on a per week basis, so it really depends on how many other applications we get that week. If you’re hosting fun, safe events that cater to a wide population, using the grant properly, and putting effort into your applications, we’ll consider your application every week in an unbiased manner.

Q: How do I receive my grant?
A: All grants are fulfilled by reimbursements. Save your itemized receipts and fill out the DAPA Grants Reimbursement Form that is located in the grant kit. Bring them to the Office of Alcohol & Other Drug Services (AODS), located on the 6th floor of HUHS in suite 637. You will receive a check in the mail within 4-6 weeks. Reminder: You must submit your reimbursement form & receipt(s) within 2 weeks of receiving your DAPA Grant! We will not be able to reimburse you after that time period. 

Q: Why didn’t I get fully reimbursed for the items on my receipt?
A: We only reimburse items that we provided a grant for, which is based on your proposed budget. Therefore, if we gave you a grant for pizza, and your receipt has pizza and candy on it, we will only reimburse the pizza and not the candy. This is why it is important to ask for an itemized receipt.